I've been thinking about creating some sort of “commando squad” inside a company. They would work outside of the regular planning, not responding to specific business needs, but serving a higher good for the company.
These are the rules for engagement:
- You are 100% responsible for your actions.
- You better not break it. But if you break it, you fix it immediately.
- You choose your goals and you choose your means. There won't be any experts there to say you should do this, you should do that.
- Everything you do should be an improvement over the original. Every goal should be a good goal.
- Goals should be small, attainable. 1-2 people; 1-2 weeks at most, 1-2 days preferably.
- There is no reward but the satisfaction of doing what needs to be done.